Design: Louis Kalff
Louis Christiaan Kalff (Amsterdam, November 14, 1897 – Waalre, September 16, 1976) was a Dutch graphic designer. His father was editor-in-chief of the newspaper “Algemeen Handelsblad”. After an HBS education, Kalff studied at the Applied Arts School Quellinus Amsterdam (now the Rietveld Academy) and at the Technische Hogeschool in Delft.
Between 1925 and 1926, Louis Kalff, together with Jan Hanrath, designed the building of the Delft Student Rowing Club “Laga” in the style of the Amsterdam School.
In 1925 Louis Kalff started working at the advertising department of Philips in Eindhoven. Under his leadership, the Lighting Consultancy departement (LIBU) was founded in 1929. He participated in the world exhibitions in Barcelona, Antwerp, Brussels and Paris. Kalff was the designer of the Philips logo. In addition, he designed posters and advertising materials as a freelancer for the Holland America line, Calvé, Zeebad Scheveningen, and Holland Radio. He also designed book bindings.
At Philips, Kalff also worked as an architect on objects such as: the Dr. A.F. Philips Observatory (1937) in Eindhoven, the Diamant Drilling Company (1948) in Valkenswaard and a few country houses in Eindhoven and Waalre for directors of Philips.
After the Second World War, Kalff was actively involved in industrial design at Philips After his retirement in 1960, Louis Kalff remained at Philips as a consultant and architect. In 1961 he managed the construction of the Evoluon building. It was the last work of the light architect who took care of the advertising of the Philips group for almost forty years.